Friday, February 5, 2010

Home Sweet Home

There's no place like home... my own bed, a hot shower, chick-fil-a and the fireplace. :) After a long 2 day journey I finally made it back to Atlanta. We started out yesterday at 8 am and didn't leave Haiti until 6 pm. We spent 4 hours in the American Embassy waiting on the final documents on the kids and then another 4 hours on a bus at the airport waiting on our plane to arrive and get through all the documentation. And this was all with 6 kids! We were thankful to at least be in an air-conditioned bus and to receive some water and snacks from the US Army guys. Then there was the 4 hour flight to Miami. The kids did awesome the whole day and all slept almost the whole flight. Thanks for all your prayers!
The best part of the day was seeing the kids unite with their parents in the Miami airport! What a happy ending!! Seriously, after 10 days of so much hopelessness and suffering, this was amazing! I cannot describe the happiness and emotions in that room. I was thinking while I was at the orphanage about how as Christians we are all adopted into God's family and what a wonderful thing that is! Many of the kids that I encountered will get a second chance and a new life with a family. But many of the others will never leave Haiti (as well as many who are suffering around the world). But anyone can receive that Second Chance, that New Life, that Hope that God offers to the world through Jesus Christ! I praise God for these kids getting adopted but even more for the adoption into His family that He offers to anyone who will receive.
It is good to be home but I'm already missing my precious kids in Haiti. We did receive word the night before I left that the visas came through for the kids being adopted to Argentina and Maki's mom is coming to get her and Sophie on Sunday! It made it easier leaving knowing she will get to leave soon. I have lots of pictures of her and the other kids that I hope to upload to facebook soon but just wanted to share 2 pictures with you now... the first is of me with Maki & Sophie and the second is me with some of the kids (and an adopting couple) with our pilot at the Port-au-Prince airport.
Once again, thank you SO MUCH for all your prayers and support in this journey. The only way I can keep doing what I'm doing is because of your continued prayers. I know that so many were praying for me down there... I definitely felt your prayers!! I know that many of you would have liked to go to Haiti to help, but let me tell you, you were there with me, through every day, loving on each child, treating each patient! May God bless each one of you! And thank you again!! I'll keep y'all updated on my future, but for now I'm going back to work part-time at Kennestone Hospital and will continue to pray about what's next. Only God knows when my next journey will be! :)


1 comment:

  1. Amy, We are missionaries to Chile and adopted two little boys from Ruuska Village. They were evacuated on January 19th to Fort Pierce, Florida and we flew to welcome them into our arms. Thank you for your ministry at the place that they called home for the first two years of their lives!

    ReplyDelete