Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Daily life at the orphanage

I finally have a few minutes where I'm baby free and able to write. I still have too much to say and not enough time or the words to write. I haven't left the orphanage since I arrived, but there has been plenty of work to do. One of my main jobs still continues to be to care for Mackey, the 8 month old that was sick. I carry her around all day and she even sleeps in my room tonite. On Monday night she was up from 12-3, but last night she slept better (Thank you, Lord!). Today she is a little better and happier, but I think what she needs most is love. That's what all the kids here need the most. And there's just not enough people here to give them all the love they need. Besides us and the babies, the older kids and the adults are all sleeping outside. It's not so much that the buildings aren't ok, but more that everyone is just so afraid. I think I felt some tremors last night, but nothing too bad.
Mom asked me yesterday if it was chaotic and I guess it is, but not in the way you would expect. I am nowhere close to the riots, the crowds, the desperation (although it does exist... there are some journalist guys staying here and they come back with stories at night. They actually found another survivor yesterday - 15 days after the earthquake! Truly a miracle!) But here, we are trying to give a halfway normal life to these kids. And the work is nonstop. There are probably 50 or 60 kids and many adults as well... I'm not really sure how many people are really here. But we are blessed to have food and are feeding all of these people, so it's been a big job to make food and wash dishes and I've been able to help some. I think much of the city is without electricity, water and food, but we are blessed with a generator, a well and lots of donated food.
I've not been able to do as much medical stuff as I hoped (although I have been able to treat some of the kids and a couple of people come to the village in need of help), but there are some more medical people coming in today or tomorrow so we've talked about setting up a mini medical clinic here at the village. For now I'm just treating what comes in and helping in any way I can.
Ok, it's time to get back to the babies! Thank you again for all your prayers and encouragement!! All the comments, facebook messages and emails have meant so much and I want you to know how much I appreciate it! Continue to pray for me as I serve, for strength, for health and everything I need to treat and love these people. And pray for the people, especially for peace. Pray for God's love and salvation for the people of Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment