Saturday, January 23, 2010

Going to Haiti

Yes, I'm really going to Haiti! I wanted to let y'all know that I am leaving for Haiti on Monday and to ask for your prayers. I didn't think my next adventure would be less than 2 months after getting back from Ghana, but this is an opportunity that I feel God has given me. I woke up the day after the earthquake and the first thing I heard on the radio about Haiti was people coming out of the ruins saying, “I need a doctor!” I thought, “Here I am with gifts God has given me to be able to help people physically and the free time because I just returned to the States and am not working full-time.” Ever since that day I have been praying that if God wanted me to go to Haiti, that He would open the door. And my church has so graciously offered to support me. I have searched out many opportunities but have mostly found closed doors until today.

I will be going to work with an orphanage right outside of Port-au-Prince. (check out the website at www.reachouttohaiti.com) It has been there for over 20 years and helps with Haitian adoptions. Since the earthquake, in addition to taking care of the kids they have opened a “walking wounded clinic”. I will be helping take care of (and love on) the kids as well as helping in the clinic. I really don't know a lot of details (this is just one step deeper into trusting the Lord for me!) and actually found out about the organization from someone I barely know... but in looking into it, talking with the coordinator in Florida and praying a lot, I feel that this is the door God has opened for me and is calling me to walk through. As much as I want to help the people in Haiti, I am getting on that plane on Monday because of obedience – because there is a God who loves me and has called me to follow Him. I obey Him, knowing that I go to the place He has called me to and that He will walk with me every step of the way.

I am flying to Orlando tomorrow morning and then fly to Haiti on a private plane Monday morning. I found out about the orphanage earlier this week but didn't think it was going to work out for me to go. But then I get a call from the coordinator this afternoon saying she has an open seat on a plane and thinks I'm the person that's supposed to go! This is all crazy last minute for me and not what I'm used to, but God has totally confirmed to me that this is of Him.

So I'm writing this to ask you all to PLEASE PRAY! I honestly do not think I could go down there if I did not know there was going to be so many people praying for me. I know that many of you are already praying for the people Haiti but please continue to pray for them. Pray for the ministry of Reach out to Haiti and the orphanage. And please pray for me – for safety, health, for compassion and the strength in what I'm gonna face. I know it's gonna be hard, probably harder than anything I've ever been through and so this is why I need your prayers more than ever!

I was told there is a computer and internet at the orphanage but since I'm not taking my laptop I'm not sure how often I'll be able to write. If and when I'm able to update you it will be on facebook and on here. I'm not sure exactly when I'm coming back, probably in 2 weeks, but I'll try to update y'all as I can. Thank you SO MUCH for all your prayers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment