Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Freezing in South Africa

It's been a busy past few days as different groups have gone to churches, schools, clinics, communities, etc... Thanks for your prayers about the clinic... we were able to go there yesterday and gave some presentations on dental care and HIV. HIV is a serious and growing problem here in South Africa and there is a still a lack of education in so much of the population.

Yesterday was Brasil's first game and some of the group went to outside the stadium and talked to people and handed out tracts. We all piled into the church to watch the game on the big screen with some visitors from the community. It was a victorious night, first because Brasil won the game and second because people gave their lives to Christ during the invitation at the end of the game. Praise God for the lives He is changing as the result of us being here!

It's freezing here – literally!! You don't think of cold when you think of Africa but it is the middle of winner here in Johannesburg and this week has been really cold. Last night it was in the 20's and the buildings don't have heating. These poor Brazilians that have never left the tropics don't know what to do but it's been miserably cold even for me.

It has been somewhat of a discouraging past few days for me because my cold and cough has only gotten worse. I had to stay at the camp today and call the doctor to come see me because I was feeling worse, couldn't stop coughing and had a fever. Praise God for Dr. Lance who examined me and gave me antibiotics and cold medicine without charging me anything. It's been hard because of the cold and having to interpret and I knew today I had to stop. Pray for quick healing with the antibiotic. Pray that my cough stops and I'm able to sleep and rest. And pray for wisdom to know whether I should stay in tomorrow or if it's ok to go out. I leave on Friday night so I only have 2 days left. I want to make the best of the rest of my time here but I also don't want to get worse, so pray I'll know what to do.

Thank you again for all your prayers! I will try to post something tomorrow night but if I don't get to, pray for these last few days of ministry. Most of the Brazilians leave on Sunday or Tuesday so they still have a few more days here. Pray for their continued health and safety. Pray that God would grow the seeds that were planted and continue to work in the hearts of people we have come in contact with. Pray for my flight home, that I will feel ok and be able to rest. Thank you guys so much! Love you!!

1 comment:

  1. Amy...thinking of you and wishing you wellness!
    I will be at the airport to pick you up! On Saturday! (in the morning!)
    I love you,
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete