Thursday, June 24, 2010

Back from South Africa

Well, I'm finally writing to let you know I'm back from South Africa. I've actually been back almost a week, but with having to jump right back into working combined with jet lag and being sick I'm just now getting the chance. I want to thank you for all of your prayers during my time in Johannesburg. What an awesome experience it was and one where I really saw God at work! I spent almost 3 weeks with a group of 200 Brazilians whose goal and passion was to see God glorified and be a part of what He was doing in South Africa. And it was amazing!

I wish you all could have been there, to experience the excitement of being in Johannesburg during the World Cup, to see how many opportunities we had and how receptive people were to this group of Brazilians, and to watch South Africans worship God with such simplicity and sincerity. I can't share everything with you, but some of the highlights were – 1. Telling a South African woman at the hospital we visited that we came all the way from Brasil (and the US) not to go to a World Cup game but to visit her and tell her how much God loves her. 2. Interpreting a sermon from Portuguese into English both Sundays at 2 small and passionate African churches 3. Sharing my testimony at a church about how God has a plan for each of us and wants to continue to use us, how 8 years ago I didn't speak any Portuguese and now here I was in South Africa with a group of Brazilians translating a sermon back into English that a Brazilian pastor was preaching! 4. Laughing and hanging out with the group of crazy, fun Brazilians that love God and missions. And getting to share my story and encourage many of them that were on their first mission trip. 5. Praying and seeing God open up doors and opportunities for us to minister – in schools, in a nursing home, in a hospital, in a clinic. 6. Getting to share the Message of Hope, Love and Peace with people in a country that is still suffering from a history of hatred, bitterness and forgiveness and watching God bring unity to a nation that desperately needs to be united. 7. Watching the Brasil soccer game on a big screen in the church sanctuary crowded with 200 Brazilians and 50 South Africans and getting caught up in all the excitement!

Continue to pray for South Africa, that God would grow the seeds that were planted and the lives that were changed this past month. Pray for the leadership group that is staying until the end of next month, for the Brazilian full-time missionaries and the churches in Johannesburg. And pray that God would continue to work in the lives of each Brazilian volunteer and that God would continue to lead them and use them for His glory! I started getting excited about God using Brazilians on the mission field while I was living in Brasil but after these past few weeks I now truly believe that God is going to use Brazilians to change the world!

My next adventure is only a week away! Next Saturday, July 3, I will be going to the Brazilian Amazon for a week! I was invited to go with a medical team from Brentwood Baptist Church because they needed a nurse practitioner and someone to help lead the team because Sharon is taking a medical team to Haiti (Please pray for her this next week as she and the team will be in Haiti and also for Stephen (Sharon & Ray's son) who is in Haiti until the end of July working with teams from Brentwood). God is doing a lot all over the world and it is so amazing the doors he keeps opening up. I will send out more details about the Amazon before I leave but pray for me and the team as we prepare. Please pray especially for my health and strength... although I love it and wouldn't have it any other way, it is hard with all the traveling and having to work part-time and do everything I need to do. The spiritual warfare was so strong when I was in South Africa and especially after I got sick I was thinking how Satan definitely doesn't like all that I'm doing... I need your prayers more now than ever as I continue to go where God leads and take advantage of every opportunity He gives me. Thank you once again for your continued prayers and encouragement!!! May God continue to bless each of you and give you opportunities to share His love and salvation wherever He leads you! Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment