Thursday, June 3, 2010

Safely here

I'm in Africa!!! Thanks for all your prayers for my trip! The 16 hour flight wasn't bad at all and I was able to sleep for 9 hours (thanks to Tylenol PM). I was most worried about meeting up with the group, but when I walked out of customs, there was someone with a sign with my name on it. PTL! The group of Brazilians arrived earlier in the day and went to the camp where we are staying. Since it was already dark when I arrived, I stayed the night and the missionaries' house. Pastor Carlos and Edna Carmona are Brazilian missionaries here in Johannesburg and are our hosts for this trip. They are so nice! And they have an adorable 1 year old daughter, Ana Khalipa, a South African that they adopted at 4 months. She was my first friend here in South Africa! :) Please pray for this couple during the next month, as they are coordinating over 200 volunteers. I know what it's like to work with volunteers and can only imagine the stress they are under with so many volunteers for such an extended period of time. Pray for health, strength, wisdom and for God's special blessing on their family during this time.
After a good night's sleep even with the 6 hour time difference, I feel rested and ready to start the new day. I can feel your prayers, I really can and am so excited about this opportunity that God has given me here in South Africa. I will be going to the camp to meet up with the group today. The next few days will be mostly spent in training and preparation. The other half of the group will arrive on Sunday. Continue to pray for all of us during this time. I will post updates as I can but I think the internet at the camp is limited. So don't worry about me if you don't hear anything for a while (although you can pray for internet access:) ) and keep praying! Love you guys so much and thanks again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment