Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Wonderful Sunday

What a wonderful Sunday it was here in South Africa! And I know it was all because of prayers – those of you that are praying across the ocean and all of us praying here. Most of the group went to a larger church, but a few of us went to some smaller churches. At 10pm last night I found out that I would be leaving at 630 this morning and would be interpreting for the preacher. I was so exhausted and didn't get many hours of sleep so I was a little worried this morning. But our God gave me the strength and energy I needed. The service was amazing!! It was a small, simple church full of the presence of God. I think it is the most amazing church service that I have ever participated in! I cannot even describe to you how amazing it was! The people worshiped God with such sincerity and with all their heart. I was a little anxious about interpreting, but it went so well. I ended up sharing a few minutes with the church in English about my story, missions & God's plan for each of them. And then I interpreted as Junior preached (A seminary student that found out last night he would be preaching and was scared to death!). God's hand and His Spirit flowed through both of us as we shared. It was God – that's the only way I know how to describe it! And as I shared with the church, it is amazing to think... 10 years ago I didn't know 1 word of Portuguese and now here I am in South Africa translating from Portuguese into English with a group of Brazilian missionaries!! It was so wonderful to see the South Africans not just excited about the World Cup, but praying and expecting God to do great things during this next month. South Africa is a country that has a history full of hatred, bitterness and sadness. It is a country that God wants to transform, to bring unity through His love and grace. And we were able to see a little glimpse of how God is working here in this country. The South Africans are working alongside us to reach out to their country and to the world. What an awesome partnership!

This morning I read Isaiah 42:16 “I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.” We are walking blindly, not knowing what to expect or how God is going to use us, but He is guiding us and is with us every step of the way! And in a country that is full of such darkness, we are the Light and He will use us for His glory!

Thank you for all your prayers and I ask that you please continue to pray for us. The oppression and spiritual warfare is so strong here. We need your prayers – for health, for safety, for rest, for peace. For all the places we will go and all the people we will come in contact with. That above all, God's Name would be glorified!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Amy-O, that is so awesome that you translated Portuguese into English and saw God's Hand so mightily as you and Junior served in tandem.
    I am so proud of you and the difference you are making in the lives of countless people...Many prayers continue to be prayed on your behalf.
    Love you!
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete