Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas Time

Yesterday I walked in the hospital and heard Christmas music over the loud speaker “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...” and started laughing. It's December and I remembered that Christmas is almost here! It seems strange to hear Christmas music here in Africa when it's hot outside and there's no external evidence of Christmas. I went to market yesterday and there were no signs of Christmas sales and I haven't seen any decorations on the mud huts. I asked someone today if they have Christmas trees and she said they don't grow here and no one really decorates for Christmas. I still have to ask about Christmas celebrations here, but in a way it's nice to not be bombarded with all the materialism surrounding Christmas in the States. When there's no mall within driving distance, you forget about a lot of the stuff that society says is a must for your wish list. :) But as I heard the Christmas music today, I got excited as I remembered that December not only brings Christmas, but means that I will be coming home soon! Two weeks from now I will be in Atlanta!

No comments:

Post a Comment