Monday, November 30, 2009

Harmattan

Harmattan arrived a couple of weeks ago, signaling the end of rainy season and the beginning of the dry season. One morning everyone started talking about this thing called “Harmattan” and how it wouldn't rain anymore because the winds had changed directions. Harmattan is the dry and dusty West African trade wind. There are good things about the rainy season being over – no more middle of the night thunderstorms, walking in the mud or carrying my umbrella around everywhere. And the weather is actually better... the humidity is lower and it's cooler at night. The Ghanaians actually say it's “cold” and show up to clinic in the morning in sweaters and parkas! The downside of the dry season is the dust. Everything, including me, always seems to be covered in a thin layer of dust and the air is always hazy. I was told the haze actually gets worse later in December. In a way, you kinda get used to the dirt everywhere and never being completely clean for long. Many days I look down at my feet and think they look really tan... until I take a shower and they turn white again! I try to scrub my feet and paint my toes pink so they won't look so bad, but I am definitely looking forward to getting a pedicure in a few weeks! :)

1 comment:

  1. Amy-O! I will treat you to that pedicure!!!
    Can't wait to get you home and hear first-hand about all your adventures.
    Love,
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete