Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day in the Village

Since the hospital still wasn't open today, I was able to go out to one of the villages with Tommy. He's a missionary who has been here for over 10 years and does a lot of evangelism in the surrounding villages. We went to a village about an hour away from Nalerigu to take part in their weekly “Church Service”. Such a simple and awesome time! We met on benches under a tree and had a time of singing – a bongo drum and women dancing around in a circle and singing. I posted a video for you to see the singing and dancing circle that I later joined in. Tommy shared a Bible message with them and then asked if any of us would share. I got up and was able to talk to them about God's love and His work in our lives. Tommy has been going to this village for the past few years and besides his visits, they have no other church service or Bible teaching. And there are many other villages like this one, so isolated that healthcare, schooling and Bible teaching are hard to come by. Just to get to this village, we had to drive for over an hour on this bumpy dirt road (this was probably the worst one of all I've been on). We stopped along the way and let people jump in the back of the truck... there is no public transportation on these roads so most of them have to walk long distances just to get anywhere. As Megan put it, we thought we came to the end of the earth in Nalerigu only to discover there are many more remote places. The simplicity of their lives is astounding. Most of the people can't speak English, but they warmly welcomed us and served us food – fresh black-eye peas and corn, mixed together and cooked. It definitely tasted more exotic sitting on a bench in the farmlands of Africa. :) Since I mostly have been inside the hospital during my time here, it was great to see more of where and how many of the patients live.  


Here's the video... this is the first time I'm uploading a video on my blog so hopefully it will work.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Amy-O, what an experience! The video worked great...came right up and I felt like I was there on that bench beside you.
    Love you so much!
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Amy, your Aunt Joan and I are so alike!! I was thinking the exact thing and was ready to post and her comment was already there!. We love you! Our GOD is so personal for him to give you this experience at this time. I know it filled you up! L3

    ReplyDelete