Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

I'll admit it, I woke up this morning feeling a little sad, that it was Thanksgiving and I was far away from my family and not really gonna have a fun and exciting day to make up for what I am missing today. I did hospital rounds this morning and we are going to have a Thanksgiving dinner tonight with the missionaries, but other than that it's just been a pretty boring, hot day here in Ghana. And before you ask how people in Ghana celebrate Thanksgiving, remember that this American holiday isn't celebrated here. :) After feeling sad for a while, God started to speak to my heart and show me all I really do have to be thankful for. Every Thanksgiving, my Aunt Joan always has everyone pick out 3 corn kernels and say 3 things we are thankful for. And although I'm not with them and don't have any kernels, I still want to think about all the things I have to be thankful for today. What am I most thankful for this Thanksgiving here in Africa? First of all, I am thankful to be alive – to have life, to be able to experience both joy and pain. How often I take my life for granted and how much I have been reminded here that life is merely a vapor. I am also thankful to know God and to be His child. I can't imagine how my life would be if I didn't know Him and the Life He has given me. I am thankful that God exists and that He doesn't just exist, but that He sent His only Son, Jesus, to the world to live and die, so that I might be able to know Him and have a relationship with Him. What a gift! I am also thankful for my family and friends, that love me and continue to encourage me and support me on all my adventures, even though they miss me when I am gone. I love you guys and am so blessed! I am thankful for the experiences that God has given me, to see so much of the world, to be able to make a small difference and to be forever changed by what I have seen and done. I am thankful that this journey is one I do not travel alone, but that God is with me every step of the way and that He leads me and fills me with His peace and presence. I will still miss being with my family today & hanging out with people I love at Thanksgiving dinner and wish that I could eat Nanny's dressing, Mom's pumpkin pie and Aunt Joan's Strawberry Pretzel Salad, but today I feel thankful for all that God has blessed me with! I pray that each of you has a blessed and “thankful” Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

  1. I saved the Strawberry Pretzel Salad for Christmas! It will be extra special and delicious having you with us to share it!
    Love you!
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mom sent us a special pumpkin pie to our Thanksgiving in Marietta even though your family was in DC. Who says we cannot have pumpkin pie in December too!! A count down of 17 days is on our 'fridge calendar until your feet hit American soil. All my love, L3

    ReplyDelete