Thursday, November 5, 2009

A typical day

Just thought I would share a typical weekday for me here at BMC - I get up and head to the pediatric ward at the hospital at 7:30 am. In the morning we round on the inpatients. For the kids, it's mostly deciding who can go home and who can be changed from IV to PO meds. After I finish rounding, which is usually about 8:30 or 9:00, I go to clinic and see patients until break. The clinic closes from 9:30-10:00, when they have a devotion in Mampruli for the patients. I usually go home to eat breakfast and have my own devotion time. After break, it's back to clinic to see patients. There are 7 exam rooms at OPD (Outpatient Department) that are filled with Ghanaian Medical Officers, the missionary doctors and volunteers. When there were a lot of volunteers, we would have 2 and sometimes 3 people to a room, but now I'm in a room by myself. Since there are so many kids, I decided to keep seeing just kids until they finish for the day. With kids, the flow is faster because it's mostly just malaria. I calculated the other day that at times, I see 1 child ever 3-4 minutes! I stop for an hour for lunch and then go back to clinic until all the patients have been seen. Once the children are finished, I start helping them see adults. We usually finish up between 4 and 6 pm, although occasionally it is earlier or later. Mondays are always busy and Market Days (every 3rd day) as well. Thankfully today was light and we finished around 3 pm (The last 2 days weren't as bad as Monday, but I still saw almost 100 patients each day.).

Thank you all for your prayers! After Monday I was so exhausted and wondering how I was gonna make it until next month, but God has filled with me with His strength and joy these last few days. I got an email with some encouraging verses today - “ My presence will go with you and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14. “The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace.” Psalm 29:11. “Your strength will equal your days.” Deuteronomy 33:25 God reminded me that He is with me and the one that gives me strength and peace. He will give me just the right amount of strength for the days He has me here in Ghana, even when I think I won't make it another day. He is the one who called me here, knowing exactly what I would encounter, and I can trust that He is in control. I pray that you all have a day filled with His presence and peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment