Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Coffee days are better days

I had coffee today!! It was my first cup of decent coffee in almost 3 months and it was amazing! Some of you know that I didn't drink coffee before Brasil, but now I love strong coffee! So here's my African coffee adventure... The first week I was here I went through major caffeine withdraw from my daily coffee and/or energy drinks. I started having one coke a week – partly from lack of coffee and coke and partly because I thought it would be good to give my body a caffeine break. But then Angela got me some coffee and a coffee maker from the Failes when they left. I decided to make coffee one morning in September, but didn't have much luck with it. I got sick from the coffee and the thing is that I'm not sure why... whether it was because the coffee expired in 2007 or because I made it really strong and my stomach wasn't used to such strong coffee or maybe it was because the milk was sour.... so after that I was afraid to make coffee again. :) I miss Starbucks and the people that make coffee for me! I was going to buy coffee when we went to Ouaga and was so excited cause I saw “Brazilian coffee” on one of the coffee bags at the supermarket... until I noticed the rest of the package was in Arabic! And I didn't recognize any of the coffee brands (I kept searching for Melita) and didn't want to spend a lot of money of coffee that wasn't even gonna taste good. So I had decided that I would just wait another month to drink coffee. But then someone gave me some Cinnabon-flavored coffee. :) So Annie & I made some this morning... I decided that after seeing over 280 patients in 2 days, I could use a little caffeine to keep going. And let me tell you, it was amazing and today was the best day!! Today was a lighter day because I saw only 98 patients (why do I consider that a light day?) but I still have so much energy. Today I am thankful that God made coffee and for fun African coffee adventures. :)      

1 comment:

  1. great story, Amy!!! It is hard to believe that you have done w/o all this time! I'll be sure to make us a strong pot (just like GoodMama liked it!) when you come to our home for the annual Family Cookie Bake on December 19, 2009. Already excited about that day and getting you back home!!
    Sending lots of Love to you!
    Aunt Joan
    I'll "toast"tomorrow morning's coffee to you!

    ReplyDelete