Monday, August 24, 2009

Busy day in pediatrics

Today was a busy day at clinic! They have an outpatient clinic here in the hospital on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. They told me that probably 800-900 patients came through clinic today. People come from all over to receive medical care and the medical staff does what they can to help the patients. Today I got to work in pediatrics. The pediatrician and I saw 96 patients! It was an exhausting but rewarding day, knowing that I treated many patients that would have died without receiving medication. Probably 75% of what I treated was malaria. I had to admit some of the patients to the hospital because the anemia from the malaria was so bad. This is crazy since I never have treated malaria before! I have definitely been on a steep learning curve ever since I arrived, but I have already been a help even with the knowledge I do know. I was very overwhelmed last week with the medical side, feeling that I should have gone to medical school to really be useful here, but today I was reminded that there is a lot I do know. I remember when I was in Brasil and being told the phrase, “In a land of blindness, he who has one eye is king.” I may only have 1 eye, but there is a lot I can do here. God has also reminded me that it is He who has called me here, knowing my abilities and also my weaknesses, and it is He who will continue to give me strength & wisdom to take care of these people. Thank you for your prayers and please continue to pray for me, as well as all of the permanent and volunteer medical staff - for health, strength, and the wisdom & knowledge to treat these patients. Pray that they would see Christ through the love in our eyes and the care that we give, even when we can't tell them because of language barrier and the endless line of patients.   

1 comment:

  1. Amy-O!
    Great POST! Very ispiring "one eye story", and also very true that God is sovereign...aren't we so thankful!
    I am so glad you are very used to LONG LINES from all the time you spent in Rio!
    Everyone is great here.
    Miss you and love you!
    WE are so proud of our African missionary!
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete