Thursday, August 27, 2009

A week with kids

It's been a busy week in pediatrics with lots of sick kids and many that we've been able to help. We had clinic again yesterday and saw more kids – we see kids with respiratory infections, skin infections, parasites and other things, but 75% of what we have seen has been been malaria. We round on the hospital wards every morning at 7:30 am & this week I've been able to see many of the kids I admitted on Monday & Wednesday and see their improvement. Today I saw a little boy who looked really bad yesterday and needed blood badly. This morning when I saw him, he had received the blood and was laughing and looking great. What a great feeling!  There are some medical students here as volunteers and we've been rotating around so I will probably go back to adults tomorrow or on Monday, but at least I'll be here long enough to get to come back to peds. :)

2 comments:

  1. You get the kiddos and I get the state board. :) First day back today -- we had a state board inspection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    So wonderful to see the change in this little boy. Your story reminded me of the little boy I gave a packet of neosporin to in Rio and afterwards he kept following me and hugging me.
    EACH ONE REACH ONE!
    Love,
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete