Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ghanaian Beauty Queens

I got to meet “Miss Ghana” AKA “Ghana Most Beautiful”!  She and a couple of the other beauty girls were on my plane from Accra to Tamale. I was sitting in the airport admiring these women with their fancy African clothes, big gold earrings, stylish purses and high heels and thinking, “I totally brought all the wrong clothes to Ghana!” I sat by them on the plane and when we landed all of them were powdering their face, putting on lipstick and fixing their hair and once again I was thinking that I packed all of the wrong things. It wasn't until I got to the “baggage claim” (the little building we walked into after getting off the plane) that I saw the women walk in with their crowns & pageant ribbons and it dawned on me that these were beauty queens! Well, they walked outside and everybody ran to go try to take pictures of them and my driver explained to me who they were. We were driving away from the airport and all of the sudden all the cars in front of us stopped in the middle of the road and everyone started getting out – they all got out to greet Miss Ghana in her car. So I got out with everybody else & went up to greet her and took a picture!

2 comments:

  1. Amy-O,
    This is such a fun story! Thanks for sharing!
    Love you,
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny! I'm loving reading your blog and seeing all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete