Wednesday, September 23, 2009

On Call

Being on call here is quite the experience. When you're on call you're in charge of all the inpatients (up to 140 patients if it's full) and they call you for any new patients or emergencies. We do nightly rounds at about 10 pm in hopes that they will not call us in the middle of the night. And there is no pager here for the person on call... they come to your house and knock on your door (not even a doorbell) to wake you up! I have only had to go back in once in the middle of the night. Last night I didn't get home til almost 1 am though. After rounding on the patients, I had to scrub in on the C section – the uterus was ruptured and then the power went off in the middle of surgery. Try to imagine, just as the doctor is suturing the uterus back together, it becomes completely dark in the OR. A guy used his cell phone to find a flashlight and we survived like that for 5 minutes before thankfully the power came back on! Only in Africa!!

1 comment:

  1. wow! That is all we can say, Amy! Uncle Donny and I sat here tonight and caught up with your posts. I trust you are keeping up with your journal, b/c I sense a book of adventures in your future my dear.
    I love you!
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete