Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Treating Rabies

I never ceased to be amazed of the things I see here. Today I saw an 11 year old girl that came in with a dog bite. The major risk here is malaria and when I asked if it was a mad dog, they informed me that they had killed the dog. We have the rabies vaccine here and I had to go to the pharmacy to ask how to write for it. Well, when I came back, James told me they had brought something to show me – the dog's head! I thought they were joking but then they picked up the bag on the floor. I screamed & turned my head... I couldn't handle seeing that... but James saw it and said it was pretty bad. The smell was sickening. And then our interpreter grabbed it and said she was going to cook it! What in the world! You're not supposed to eat the head of a possible rabid dog!! Yes, every day brings more excitement! I have to go to dinner now. We are having goat tonite... my first time eating goat! That will be tomorrow's story... Wish you were all here with me! :)    

No comments:

Post a Comment