Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Caring for Sick Kids

It's been a nonstop past 2 days in the hospital. Yesterday I worked in clinic all day and saw many patients. A bus showed up mid-morning, filled to the max inside and people on top (see the picture below). I continued to be amazed at the extremes people will go to receive medical care here.

Andy and I were on call last night and had the busiest night I've ever had on call. We didn't get to eat dinner until almost 8 (we usually eat around 6 pm) and only slept from 1:30-3:00 and 4:00-7:00 am. They knocked on the door at 3 am calling us back in for a patient that was not doing well. Besides having to get up in the middle of the night, it's always scary to be called back in and you just pray that you will know what to do to help the patient. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done. Thankfully we were able to help the woman, but in pediatrics 2 kids died while we were there, even after we had done all we could do. The suffering and sickness is so overwhelming.

After a short night's sleep, it was a busy day in the pediatrics clinic. I admitted 12 patients to the peds ward today (On average I usually admit 3 or 4 daily). And these kids were all really sick – malaria with anemia or convulsions, dehydration and malnutrition, pneumonia with respiratory distress. Below is a picture of a little boy that I admitted today with malnutrition and dehydration. The peds ward is full but we continue to admit. There are probably 15 kids and their moms on the floor because there are no more beds.

I was reading this weekend in Exodus 36 and it talks about the “skilled person to whom the Lord has given skill and ability to know how to carry out the work just as the Lord commanded”. God reminded me that He has given me skill and asks for my obedience to do the work He has called me to do... even when it's not fun or I'm exhausted or would rather be doing something easier. It is God that calls us and God that gives us His strength to carry out the work. Thank you for your continued prayers!



No comments:

Post a Comment