Monday, October 5, 2009

Carrying things on your head

Even after being here for 6 weeks, I am still amazed at what these women are able to carry on their heads! It's not just light stuff either but some seriously heavy things! I have seem women with baskets on their head filled with coal, with firewood, and one that was filled with canned food! The funniest though was a few weeks ago when I was walking around town and saw a woman carrying a rolling suitcase on her head! What's the point in having a rolling suitcase if you're not gonna roll it? :) I am convinced that some of the neck pain and back pain (which people here call waist pain) has to be from years of carrying such heavy things on their heads, but none of my patients will agree with me. I guess it could possibly be since they start at such a young age that they get used to it. I am determined to learn how to carry something on my head, but we'll see if I actually succeed. Until then I will go on being fascinated with the women and the babies on their back and baskets filled to the top on their heads.

3 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I know Goodmama is surely enjoying all of these incredible stories and I am certain she is watching over you from the gold-ladened streets!
    Love,
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the yellow case the one in front is carrying?

    ReplyDelete