Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ghanaian Food

We have a cook that cooks lunch and dinner for us every day. Most of the food is American style with an African twist – hot dogs/hamburgers with homemade buns and fries, soft tacos without sour cream or salsa, chicken pot pie and cabbage salad. This week we decided we wanted to try typical Ghanaian food. Caroline, a Peace Corps Volunteer went and got it for lunch for us... closest to delivery we'll ever have here. :) We had fufu, ground nut soup and guinea fowl. Fufu is made from ghanaian yams that they pound and mix together in a big pot with a wooden spoon. It looks like mashed potatoes but is sticky and honestly has absolutely no taste and is the weirdest consistency. You eat it by dipping it in the ground nut soup (with your hand of course!) I liked the soup, although it was a little spicy. It is made from peanut, which they call ground nut. The soup came in a black plastic bag – no such thing as a disposable bowl here. The guinea fowl, which I thought I wouldn't like at all was my favorite of all and tasted like turkey. The pictures are of me pouring my soup from the plastic bag and of the meal. This was after I had already eaten half of it. All of that for only $1!! I will say that I am glad that I don't have to eat fufu everyday, but it was a fun experience!

     


No comments:

Post a Comment